In Adelaide in 1866 a group of Commercial Travellers (now known as sales or customer service reps and managers), met to discuss how to overcome the various difficulties they were experiencing in conducting their business, especially the poor quality country roads and hotel accommodation.
This was the first organized group of commercial travellers in Australia.
In 1874 the C.T.A. was incorporated, being the first in Australia.
Until 1891 they met at well-known HOTELS and CLUBS in Adelaide. The first President was Mr. W. Thurston.
The founding members of the Association comprised of leaders in South Australian business, sales and commerce.
In 1895 The United C.T.A. of Australia was founded to affiliate interstate clubs and associations.
By 1890 a club was formed for members and in 1891, the first club rooms opened in the Mutual Life Chambers in Grenfell Street. In 1897 they moved to larger premises in the Old Exchange building in Pirie Street.
By 1903 the CTA raised money to purchase a block of land on the corner of North Terrace & Bank Street.
In 1904 a 3-story building was erected and officially opened in 1905. This was a prestigious building opposite the SA Parliament.
Subsequently the CTA also operated showrooms in Tavistock Street (now Frome Street) for the promotion and display of member’s samples and products.
In 1944 the Association made a donation to endow in perpetuity a third cot at the Adelaide Children’s Hospital.
On Christmas Eve 1944 the first Adelaide “Carols by Candlelight” jointly organized by The C.T.A. of S.A. and the Advertiser Radio Station was held at Elder Park, attracting a crowd of about 30,000. Proceeds were donated to several Adelaide charities. That tradition of community service and patronage by the CTA has continued up to the present day.
The North Terrace premises were used until 1981 when the building was sold and the C.T.A. and The South Australian Club moved to premises in Wakefield Street. In 1996 Mr. William (Bill) Fullerton was elected as President
In 1998 The CTA moved its social functions to the Police Club and opened new offices in Carrington Street.
In 2004 the office was moved to Union Street Dulwich. A varied programme of functions and social events are held every year at hotels around Adelaide and suburbs.
Membership has increased steadily since 2005 and continues to attract more business and professional members.
In November 2010 Bill Fullerton retired as President and Wally Williams was elected as the new President.
Having a long and proud history, our South Australian C.T. A. continues to give excellent service to its professional members and the SA business community.
Promote your business today by joining the C.T.A.